I love a good burger. But the definition of "good" is flexible. Where it is most flexible is when it comes to this unhealthy burger that I like to call a "Big Mike:" two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, rehydrated onions on a sesame seed bun. Does that sound familiar? Well, it should. Read on and I will tell you how to make this delectable burger at home.
The first thing is the mindset. In burger land there are a number of different attitudes that a burger can reflect. If an Elvis attitude were barbecued badness, bacon and other strong flavours; the Big Mike requires the Pat Boone approach. Love him or hate him, Elvis you can pick up in a second. Pat Boone could be mistaken for Muzak if one weren't paying attention. Safe comfortable flavours that combine into a great homogeny of taste. To get the Big Mike to taste like it should remember that no ingredient should be definite or broad (remember, Pat Boone). If any ingredient is too decidedly present, it will throw off the taste. That's why minced onions are out, but rehydrated onions are in. Flame broiled patties are out, but those grey discs of beef that come from a skillet are in.
Ingredients (per burger):
- 2 beef patties
- Special sauce
- 1 hamburger bun
- 1/3 cup shredded lettuce (iceberg preferably)
- 2 slices of process cheese
- 4 pickles (dill or bread-and-butter)
- 2 tblsp. rehydrated onions
- Make up the special sauce
- Fry up the patties in a skillet. When cooked, drain off grease. Then pat the grease off, they leave them on a cooking rack to allow more grease to drip off.
- Flatten lettuce and roll into a tight roll. Cut up the lettuce with thin diagonal slices so that each slice is no more than 1/4" wide.
- Lightly toast the hamburger buns so that the insides have a crispiness to them without browning.
- Build the burger:
- Start with the bun bottom.
- Spoon on the rehydrated onions
- Pile on the lettuce
- Put down a patty
- Put on a slice of cheese
- Slap on another patty
- And another slice of cheese
- Put on the pickles
- Smear a big tablespoon of special sauce onto the top of the bun.
- Put the top on the burger and smoosh in down so that the burger becomes a concise work of tasty badness.
Special Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tblsp. french dressing
- 4 tsp. sweet relish (green relish)
- 1 tblsp. rehydrated onions
- 1 heaped tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Mix the ingredients.
- Allow them to mingle: refrigerate for 3 or more hours.
Rehydrated OnionsTo make rehydrated onions, take two parts onion flakes and mix one part water. Allow the water to seep in rehydrated the onions over the course of 20 to 30 minutes. The deal with rehydrated onions is that they have a milder flavour than fresh onions. They have also been minced and are the ideal size when prepared.
Last updated date